Our church has a chili cook-off every year. A couple of years ago, my then 17 year old son doctored up a recipe and came up with this Pepsi Chili recipe. He won first place!
NOTE: This is a spicy recipe. Alter the cayenne and ghost pepper flakes to suit your taste.
Preston’s Pepsi Chili*
* Cook the night before, refrigerate and reheat the next day.
2 tsp. oil
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 lb. lean ground beef
1 lb. lean sirloin, cubed
1 (14.5 oz.) can mild rotel
1 can (12 oz.) regular Pepsi
1 can (14.5 oz.) beef broth
2 (6 oz.) cans tomato paste
1 TBL. brown sugar, packed
2 TBL. chili powder (or Asian chili paste if you have it)
1 TBL. ground cumin
1 TBL. cocoa
1 tsp. oregano
1 tsp. cayenne (decrease as desired)
1 tsp. ground coriander
1 tsp. salt
2 cans (15 oz.) kidney beans
1/8 tsp. ghost pepper flakes (optional)
1. Heat oil in a large pot.
2. Cook onions, garlic and meat until brown.
3. Add spices.
4. Add Rotel, beef broth, tomato paste and Pepsi.
5. Stir in beans.
6. Reduce heat and simmer for 2 hours.
7. Refrigerate and reheat the next day.
Toss in a few corn chips and enjoy!